Friday, March 16, 2012

Have Mercy

Having mercy is an opportunity each of us faces every day.  Whether it is the choice we make in how we handle an aggressive telemarketer on the phone, a grumpy argumentative old guy in the check out line, or an aging appliance beginning to falter. How I am is who I am.  Having mercy in a moment is as much about the care and consideration I have for myself as it is for another.


The following story is an example of the possibility of conventional medicine joining with alternative/complimentary medicine with the idea of achieving best outcomes for patient and practitioner.  

I admit a 62 year old woman, "Laura," newly diagnosed with progressive metastasized lung cancer. She claims, "I just can't get comfortable.  I want to jump out of my skin." Her vital signs are within normal limits, her oxygenation is fine, her breathing pattern is regular and even. She appears very anxious since her family left an hour ago.  I remember to use presence when I see/feel this anxiety.  I find my own sense of stillness in my legs, in my chest.  I become aware of my breathing and sense of tension in my body. I notice something has slowed down in myself. I look at her and I feel time. The time between us right now, the time we are sharing. I've got her. She's got me. Right now, we've got each other, unrushed. 
Now I can let my skills go to work.  


My conventional nursing judgment is that she requires an anxiety medication and possibly a sleeping aid (neither are currently prescribed).  She also will need emotional support and integrative medicine (IM) interventions.  Laura and I discuss her needs right now, how's she feeling and what she thinks would help her.  I make both conventional and complementary medicine suggestions. She says emphatically she wants it all.  I tell her I have to get an order from the doctor for the medications and the process of ordering and obtaining the meds might take 20-30 minutes.  I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone without some support for the anticipated 20 minutes I do these tasks.  I spend three minutes with her reviewing a simple breathing method using a relaxing guided imagery technique to help put her more at ease while she is waiting.  She's taken to it well. I leave to make the arrangements for the meds and prepare an essential oil aromatherapy "cotton ball" for anxiety and sleep.  Still waiting for the meds, I reassess Laura and find her more quiet and relaxed (her eyes are closed).  The cotton ball is to her liking, so I pin it to her hospital gown.  I coach her through deep breathing.  I speak to her in measured, low melodic vocal tones and we pick up her previous desired visualization piece and move through the five senses again, working with the breath.  


Laura is very quiet; I lower the head of the bed to 45 degrees, lower the lights and leave to retrieve the meds,returning five minutes later.  She is dozing, her diaphragmatic breathing deep and regular. I hold the meds for the time being, and do a short therapeutic touch session on her, smoothing out her energy field, allowing for a deeper rest. 

2 comments:

  1. Tried to read the blog you told me about this am, but I got caught by your blog... and particularly touched by this sweet post. I wish for myself and all this kind care in the midst of what I consider medical health care hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that for you too... for ALL of us. As illustrated, it IS possible to have a more Whole care in a mainstream system. Ever onward.....
    In the meantime....... stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete