Friday, March 16, 2012

Lost in the Wilderness

 
photo by: CJ McGannon
A moment happens sometimes when the chronic diving into activity, mechanical habits, spinning repetitive thoughts, planning and subsequent worry has me realizing I am lost in the wilderness.  It's the ache of loneliness, of having been a long time away from myself that first wakes me to this. Somehow, once again, I am far away from Home, from having an awareness or ostensible sense of force in Self.  It's just a moment, a moment of recognition. There is no hope of finding my way back right then, I am in that moment buried in the static tension of purpose, knowing, believing, doing, desire. Still, there is a distant, long ago and far away vague voice heard: "Come home.  Where are You?"

Lost in the Wilderness.  Again. There is nothing to do about it. There I am.  To struggle being there just puts me deeper in the woods. So something quiet activates, is willing to open to the subtle.  Plunging ahead is not an option.

I suppose it would be appropriate to have gratitude for the cresting automatic in myself.  After all, it is its mounting, frenetic force that has brought a stop of sorts, a first notice that I've been missing-in-action. It's extreme has woken Other up.  The prodigal Self comes back to memory, back into being.

To know one is in a wilderness is a big thing. It makes it possible to reconsider the treadmill one has been on, to feel the aloneness of having been away and distant. Like waking, the engagement of my senses is once again possible and a sensitization to the ephemeral in and around me, the thing that will direct me back Home actually has a chance to do so.

2 comments:

  1. "...gratitude for the cresting automatic in myself."

    Nice turn-of-phrase!

    I say, fortunate is she who is prodded by the shear weight of horizontal life to look upward.

    We like the idea of "Help," but feel kind of squeezed when it alights on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi walt, that is so interesting to feel squeezed by help when alighted upon (like a butterfly? a snowflake? a nervous hummingbird? an on-wind dandelion seed adrift?). I wait for help to buoy my body up while floating in the sea, helping me/things to feel lighter, instigating a deeper breathing pattern or or when I hurt myself accidently, help is pain's reminder to regroup (tough love?). help can be a lot of things, yes? I guess it's not really help unless we are open to it being that in a moment. Thanks for the input!

      Delete