Friday, February 17, 2012

Food Glorious Food



photo by: the excellent Peter Schlosser
I moved to Philadelphia for a lot of reasons.  Most of those reasons I wasn't consciously aware of until I got here. Within a month of landing, I surprisingly realized one of the unconscious reasons I moved here was for the food. Not haute cuisine, but the plethora of farmer's markets manned by Amish guys (complete with those quintessential straw hats, curious chin beards and charming old-english accents) from local Lancaster County, non-foody cheese crafters from local Buck's County, several nearby Community Sustainable Agriculture (CSAs) and a very cool homegrown food co-op in my new neighborhood. There were farmer's markets from whence I came, but the culture that embraces and appreciates the fruits of the land and the gathering of community was absent.  Not so here.  Everyone and their grandmother's dog shows up for market and it's a communal symphony not to be missed.  Good food is here. Good for the eyes, good for the body, good for the soul.
So in this land of plenty, where fresh food abounds most places, how could food possibly be a reason for anyone to leave where they've been for forever? Well, Super Shop Rite's mile long aisle's had me cowering in choice confusion. Non-transparent Whole Foods had lost it's gloss and Omnivore's Dilemma  http://michaelpollan.com/books/the-omnivores-dilemma blew my sustainable-intrigued mind. Interests in biology, how the body works, chemical interactions, the relationship to how you feel often determined by what you put in your mouth-- it all makes me sit up.  I had somehow had come to appreciate good, honest food and no nonsense information on nutrition (not so easy to get in this day and age of questionable information overload).
Food.  Nutrition.  You probably already know quite a lot about it.  And the last thing you need is another "know it all" with their two cents telling you about how you should be eating.  No worries. That's your business afterall.  
But what I will do is share with you the following clear, non-preachy article that I think is extremely good, and which I refer to often because it is succinct in laying out the facts (even though I have some questions about some of them). A bonus is, you can sense the ground-spring of kindness at its informational center.  And everybody needs a little kindness, especially in relation to one's particular food choices. 

2 comments:

  1. Germaine! great to read. it sounds a lot like my own personal relationship to food. now i know you haVE really thought deeply about the system so when you mentioned the farm as the womb you did know what you were talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I can't believe you would ever doubt I know what I'm talking about! lol. For most of us, we ride the horse backwards. That is trying to find that unknown connection that being related to nature provides, most of us have been raised so distant from that connection. But for someone to have had that 'womb' experience of knowing the land and the trees intimately from birth, well, you are way ahead of the curve, knowing that deeply in your bones, in your cells. The rest of us glean it second-hand from the farmers. My own connection to nature has been through my movement experiences and knowing my own nature in that deep way you know the farm's land. Thank you for sharing. And thanks to your folks for having the "know" of raising you where they did.

    ReplyDelete