Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Art of Being a Play-er (Part II)

I've had a YMCA membership for over 36 years.  I'm a swimmer.  I love everything about swimming (except the chlorine).  Recently, I've rededicated myself to my swimming practice.  And in doing this, I see when I approach laps with pleasure instead of disciplined persistence I leave the pool in joy.  The disciplined persistence usually gives me a nice endorphin high, but my dedication to pleasure gives me a long lasting joy.  Play is serious, play is an art.

Any practice is focused, has rhythm and there is an external effort that persists.  This is valuable.  But there is an art in a practice that is effortless. This comes about when one is at play.  When the focused persistence turns to wonder and a watchfulness, when the agenda of the activity is put to rest and there is a fascination in the moment to moment Moment; the sensation of a stroke, the rhythmical breath in and out, the water pressure from a kick forcefully washing over the musculature of the femur.  Play has no agenda.   It's purpose free.


Play for children is serious.  It's about discovering, determining themselves and the world around them.  It's an exploration.  They do this without watching the time, fully invested in the connecting moments.  They are alive in the now, the sensations, the attention and energy present.  Whereas they are "working" in their play (i.e. figuring out roles, how to physically articulate in a game), the effort is minimal.  They are open.  They are free.  As adults, this is possible to reclaim.

In my The Art of being a Play-er, Part 1, I mention the possibility of this in the mundane activity of washing dishes.  Revisiting that post, I find that play is possible when I am present to the here and now.  What transpires in that?  There is a release of tension in having to know, the (usually) righteous expectation.  The untying of the knot of purpose happens.  An attachment to what is familiar falls away and the courage to have curiosity moves in.  Interest in what is bubbles to my surface and an attention builds for that, not all the indoctrinations and associations I have for whatever is in front of me.  This is a scary, even terrifying moment where my well practiced do-er desperately grasps for what she knows, but hopefully bravely relinquishes that control to the unknown of the life-art unfolding.


Disciplined persistence, having a strong purpose for something--- these don't have the possibility of ever being art.  They are the preparatory actions of learning to be a well practiced do-er.  Our youth is considerably spent in this.  The problem is, if we become entirely enamored of this well practiced do-er stage, we can't find our way to being the effortless life-artists we are meant to be. 

Play teaches us this.  It is the state of being open and enjoying whatever comes our way.  It's related to the state of deep gratitude for being human, and all the joys, sorrows, ugliness and miraculousness contained therein.  Play/Presence is the possibility of waking up to being in a heated dialogue and finding the humor that releases the tension, the hope in being able to listen without reacting, speaking one's truth without harming.  It's being in more of oneself, being more whole.

The changes we need to make in our lives depend on this.  If we are making life style behavioral changes, learning to play in this way is necessary.  We can have all the purpose and self discipline in the world to start that exercise regimen or dietary change, but if we aren't bringing more of our whole selves, our play-er, our presence, our sense of fun and curiosity to the journey, what are the chances the changes we make in all that force and glory will stick?  Like I said, I like the pool, but laps can get boring after awhile and the chlorine reeks havoc on my hair.  Get my play-er on.





No comments:

Post a Comment